[DeTomaso] Dead In The Water

hoppe1 at cox.net hoppe1 at cox.net
Wed May 13 17:22:49 EDT 2009

Art

I would suggest you look at the problem like vital signs.  Figure out first if it is elec or fuel then go from there rather than all over.

If the car quits from fuel starvation you can check it by looking into the carb and pump the throttle while looking for accelerator pump fuel going into the orfice.  If the car starved for gas you usually do not have any gas to pump but only once or twice but not a lot before the carb is dry. This probably means no fuel.

If you think it is electrical, I use a 12v bulb and soldier wires with alligator clips to the bulb.   You can set the bulb where you can see it and connect it to the power wire at the coil.  Run the engine and watch the bulb when i quits, you then can determine if it is electrical behind the coil wire.  It eliminates all the other possible problems if you continue to have elec to the coil.  If you have elec to the coil it can still be in front of the coil or it is the coil or the module or something in the ignition.

If the power is off to the bulb at the coil you can start tracking back to one of the other possiblities mentioned.

Rich