[DeTomaso] Engine run anomalie

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 13 14:17:47 EDT 2009

1)- the Pantera tank is vented through a 1/4" dia line that goes to the
charcoal cannister, then from the cannister to the air cleaner. This is far
larger than the 040"-dia hole normally found in a vented cap. If you detect a
vacuum in the tank when opening the stock non-vented cap, this is a sign that
one or more of the vent lnes are plugged. Temporarily disconnect the vent
line from the tank; if that fixes te problem, you have an area to explore
further. You could also just leave the gas cap off. Note- leaving the line
disconnected very long will splash gas out when the tank is full, and produce a
fuel odor inside the cabin.

2)- you say 'the car won't start' but in what manner? A hot, stone-stock
engine often won't turn over fast enough to start unless the ground wire is in
excellent shape from frame to engine or transaxle. Some Panteras STILL
don't have this ground. I also recommend a gear-drive mini-starter in place of
the heavy problematic stocker.

3)- the '73-up Pantera fuel tank outlet has a brass final-filter screen on
the end of the fuel-out line attached to the sender. While I've not seen one
plugged up with varnish as happens with '71-72s , its possible. Try
removing the filter-screen from the out-line; you've got far more filtering
capability with your two in-line systems than most cars need anyway. I'd leave the
in-tank screen off.

FWIW, a charcoal cannister is normally only effective for 2-3 years before
the charcoal saturates. Then, it's simply a can partially full of old fuel.
They are not serviceable. New assemblies are available from Ford, (and may
require adaption) but I simply run the tank vent line directly to the air
cleaner, bypassing a bunch of extra hoses and the cannister.

4)- finally, are we sure its fuel-related? Try installing a new coil. I've
had coils that cracked a wire inside the coil case. When things get hot, the
wire ends separate, shutting down the ignition. When the coil cools a
little, the wire ends touch again and the engine starts normally. I've also heard
of intermittent MSDs although they're rare. Normally, they work or
completely fail. Good luck- J Deryke