[DeTomaso] Interlock

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 12 23:54:27 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/12/09 19 57 11, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I thought they only had stater interlocks on 1974 +, I have a 73 L and
> was
> having a "no start "problem and I looked for the "starter interlock on my
> car and I was told by someone on the list ( i don't remember who) that my
> 73
> id not have one. ( I certainly couldn't find one if I am supposed to have
> it)

I can't remember exactly when in 1973 it was introduced.   It's a funny
yellow box that lives behind the speedo/tach.   Part and parcel of the system
is a bypass pushbutton mounted on a tab in the front trunk compartment, ahead
of the wiper bottle.   If you don't have the tab, you don't have the
interlock.

I have a '74 wiring harness (with interlock) in my '72.   The thing is
still there, and I can only assume it's bypassed, because none of the inputs to
the interlock (seat belt etc.) are hooked up to anything.   I've got a bunch
of wires rolled up and taped, sitting under the center console.