[DeTomaso] Porterfield R4S brake pads

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Tue May 12 13:28:33 EDT 2009

The different types of brake compounds have different degrees of grip
vs. temp, durability, dust, noise, and rotor damage.  You want to pick
the compound that best meets your needs.

The R-4S is a good compromise for an aggressive street-driven,
occasional track-day Pantera. I use the R-4S compound on my 300zx
commuter car.  It is good when warm or hot vs. stock. I can go longer on
track days before cooking my brakes.

However, the R-4S is worse than stock when stone cold.  I have had a few
scares on my morning commute before I have had my coffee when I suddenly
have to stop.  My non-caffeinated brain takes an extra slice of time to
realize that I have to put my foot into it harder to stop.

After a couple of applications, the pads are in the happy range on the
grip vs. temp chart.

http://porterfield-brakes.com/images/portrace2008_11_06_02_43_53.pdf

For the Pantera, I use Wilwood B compound which is a race-only compound
that is better than stock even when stone cold.  It does squeak, but
that is the trade-off.