[DeTomaso] Porterfield R4S brake pads

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 12 00:57:31 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/11/09 21 41 23, bjbstewart at yahoo.com writes:

> I was actually looking at upgrading to the R4S pads before Reno - there
> was a lengthy discussion on breaks back in august 2008.  At that time
> nothing but good stuff was said about them for folks that mainly street but
> wanted an upgrade from stock.
>
> This was supported by graphs around grip vs temp and the like as I
> recall.  This is the first i've heard about R4S not working as well cold.  Anyone
> else have that same experience?

They work much, MUCH better than the stock Pantera pads.   The stock pads
are extremely hard, and take a long time to heat up--much longer than the
Porterfields.

Jim Oddie was comparing his Porterfield BMW pads to his OEM BMW pads, which
is a different matter entirely. The scenario he described (failing to stop
right away when the pads are cold) is a typical problem encountered with
stock Pantera pads.   The Porterfields are much better in this regard, with the
advantage of much better performance once they've got some heat into them.

There are other pad options out there--I know Larry Stock carries EBC pads.
  I have no experience with them, but EBC is a very reputable company, and
they are likely to be much better than stock pads.   I have no idea how they
would compare to Porterfield though.