[DeTomaso] OT! Temporary tags at Silver State Classic Challenge!

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Mon May 11 09:55:21 EDT 2009

Bjoern - another point of view...

European and American police have different policies regarding foreigners,
based on extensive field testing ;-)

In the US, if the police find you guilty of a minor traffic infraction, the
process can eventually lead to you pleading guilty or innocent at some
future date, when you can either fight the ticket or pay your fine. Police
policy may vary widly within the US, but at least in the Eastern part, if
you will not be in the country for enough time to go through the process and
defend yourself, the police let you go with only a warning. I've been
stopped for speeding in the US, um, a couple of times, and showing a
European residence card and drivers license, they gave me a speech about
American speed limits and let me go.

In Europe, they have a different approach. They KNOW you are guilty as hell,
and will drive you to the nearest ATM and require you to pay on the spot, if
they think you may not be around to complete the process. I have yet to talk
my way out of a ticket in Europe, something rather common in the US.

In the end you'll need to decide for yourself whether to drive before you
have proof of current registration, but I think the risk is very small.
Unless your license plate is bright orange, a color that was phased our 17
years ago, or there is some other extremely obvious sign that your plates
are expired, I don't think the police will bother you unless you do
something wrong.

That said, there is always the risk that a police car could come up behind
you at a stoplight and see the date - they may look for such things.

I don't know where "expired registration" falls legally, but for many minor
infractions (taillight out, no front license plate, etc) they give you 30
days to fix the problem and the ticket goes away. So providing proof of
already having paid, the cop would have to be having a REALLLY bad day to
give you problems.

That could always happen, and I won't come visit you in jail if I'm wrong
;-) but it it were me, I would drive it anyway.

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"