[DeTomaso] ?Car stalls with hard braking to a stop only, not curves etc

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 11 04:37:02 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/10/09 19 29 39, artstephens at verizon.net writes:

>      I suspect your float level is wrong?  I had the same problem for a
> long
> time and I was pussy footin around with lowering the float level.  For
> some
> reason,  I think I changed the float level significantly and the problem
> disappeared.  I would guess that fuel is sloshing from the rear bowl to
> the
> front and flooding the carb?  I am far from a carb expert and I may have
> this all wrong,  but if memory serves me correctly,  that was the solution
> to my loooong term problem.

Part of the problem stems from the fact that the carb is tilted nose-down
on most Panteras (because the 351C normally sits nose-up in a front-engined
car, and sits perfectly level in a Pantera).   So the standard method of
setting float heights doesn't work properly, because the hole on the side of the
float bowl that you use to establish the proper height for the float, is
higher than it would be if the carb was flat, so as a consequence the float
gets set higher, and then the engine floods.

Mike (had Chris Difani machine my intake manifold flat to help make that
problem go away....)