[DeTomaso] ?Car stalls with hard braking to a stop only, not curves etc

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 11 04:08:38 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/10/09 18 32 0, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> Any idea why a car would want to die (but doesnt) when you hit that last
> minute red light with hard braking?  Would it be the carb?

It's *absolutely* the carb.   Under hard braking, fuel is sloshing forward
in the rear float bowl, flowing through the vent, dribbling onto the
butterflies and into the intake, and the carb suddenly goes way rich, flooding the
engine and it quits.

You can help matters by lowering the float level on the secondary (back)
half of the carb.   I also made a vent tube that connected the front and rear
bowl vents, so that any fuel that sloshed forward, just went into the
forward float bowl.   That fixed the problem for good on my GT350 clone; I haven't
yet taken the time to implement it on my other cars though.