[DeTomaso]   Wheels

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 10 16:06:33 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/10/09 11:19:05 AM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> what are your thoughts about 17s/18's opposed to 17/17 or 18/18? I
> leaning towards the 17's/18's so far. any thoughts about handling?

Most handling improvements come from the front end, and unless flairs are
added, a 245-sized front tire is about as wide as will fit under stock
fenders- and even that will require some metal-shaping. The interferences will be
mostly on the right side and will include the windshield wiper shield and
both front and rear areas of the inner fender panel at full lock. More caster
will improve the high speed stability but will make the contacts worse.
Watch wheel contact with the brake lines as well; contact with stock rubber
lines will wear thru the rubber, while contact with steel-braided lines will
machine grooves in the wheel. Aftermarket aluminum wheels themselves are far
heavier than an 8" magnesium   Campy (with a 245 tire mounted) so both your
choices will give that little advantage away. With big aluminum wheels, you're
basically replacing rubber (from a 15" tire) with metal (denser aluminum at
that), and this always increases unsprung weight. For street driving, none
of this makes a discernable difference; for track events, you'll feel it.
Appearance-wise, a smaller front wheel seems to visually balance the Pantera
better, to most eyes. Good luck- J Deryke