[DeTomaso] More clutch photos and maybe confusion.

Thomas Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Sat May 9 10:31:25 EDT 2009

Asa,
A few things I notice from your clutch pictures:
#1. The pressure plate fingers on your old clutch levers are rounded where they meet the throw-out bearing surface,
the new clutch fingers are flat. Not sure if the new throw-out bearing has rounded surfaces so the finger surface can
be flat like the new clutch has. I would guess that your old throwout bearing is flat on the surface that contacts your
fingers because the old clutch fingers are rounded. The fingers on my clutch are rounded like the ones on your old clutch.
The height of the finger on my clutch is 2.75" in an uncompressed state/NOT bolted to the flywheel.
#2. The weights on the clutch fingers are similar on my clutch...(see attached clutch pictures). Those weights give more pressure
at higher RPM's and I would think allow for a lighter spring to be used in the pressure plate so you get a lighter pedal pressure.
My motor was pretty stock when this pressure plate was put on...not sure if it will handle the higher horsepower with
the mods I'm doing? Haven't gotten to that decision yet.
#3. The end height of the finger will be determined by how much the clutch plate is depressed when you tighten down the
pressure plate on the flywheel.
#4. The throw-out bearing can adjust in or out depending on the end height of the fingers once the plate is bolted down.
You can bolt it down to see if the clearances are ok with the bell housing and throwout bearing in place so it doesn't cause any
problems...so long as you can adjust the throwout bearing so it doesn't touch the fingers and you have some play at the
top of the pedal before it depresses the clutch you should be ok. If the bearing is touching the fingers when your foot is off
the clutch you will get premature bearing wear and less pressure from the clutch plate depending on how much the bearing is
depressing the clutch fingers.

I have my motor out and the pressure plate was replaced by the previous owner...it has less that 25 miles on it and is very
similar to the new one you have....other than the rounded fingers (see pictures attached), but I think you could get a throwout
bearing that is rounded and it will work with those fingers. The total height is almost identical to your new one. Let me know if you
need more pictures of my clutch.

Hope this helps.

Tom Borcich