[DeTomaso] More clutch photos and maybe confusion.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat May 9 03:40:55 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/8/09 21 30 37, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> - Levers are different. New unit has fingers protruding a quarter inch
> more toward the trans.  This is the part that concerns me.
>
>>>As well it should.   That is basically the difference between a Pantera
clutch and a regular Ford clutch.

> Is there enough room in the adjustment of the clutch to back the
> throw-out bearing off a quarter inch from where it is now?  Or do I look
> for a better pressure plate?
>
>>>I can't tell you for sure, but I *can* tell you for sure that the normal
cheap-Charlie clutch failure mode is to have a Mustang etc. clutch whose
fingers extend too far, so that when the mechanism is backed all the way out,
the clutch fingers strike the inside of the bellhousing.   The 'fix' is to
misadjust the clutch to slightly depress the clutch at all times, providing
the necessary clearance but leading to clutch slip and/or throwout bearing
burnup.

As a better cheap-Charlie move, have you considered just having your
existing (proper) pressure plate rebuilt? They can re-use all the finger hardware
and just replace the springs, and you know you'd have the right stuff.