[DeTomaso] GUMBALL 3000 News Coverage

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Fri May 8 22:30:45 EDT 2009

 Found this tonight, can't get anything past these boys!

WCTV in Talllahassee

--

A popular coast-to-coast racing event sped through the area Thursday causing
some drivers to report reckless driving. The Florida Highway Patrol reports
one hit and run accident which also occurred.
There are 120 cars, at times racing at high speeds from coast to coast. It's
called the Gumball 3000, and this year the race is on from Los Angeles to
Miami.
Thursday they traveled through Gadsden and Leon Counties on I-10, clocked at
speeds over 170 mph.
Charles Lockwood, a Tallahassee resident, saw the cars on I-10 as he was
driving. Lockwood says, "All of a sudden you're driving along and, okay,
there goes a Ferrari, you don't see that every day, and the next thing you
know there's another one, and then there's a Lamborghini."
Over 20 phone calls came into the Florida Highway Patrol about reckless
driving, some involving exotic cars.
Some of the cars speeding through Leon County were pulled over and given
court dates.
Lt. Kenneth Ellis with the Florida Highway Patrol says, "I authorize all my
troops to be up on the interstate and try--unless they're called off for
another type of call--to try and at least slow them down so they drive
prudently through our area, but as we can see, last night, 120 is not
prudent. The speed limit is 70."
Lt. Ellis also says that even though the event itself is not illegal,
speeding is. He also says unless a driver is exceeding the speed limit, or
is caught driving recklessly, they are not doing anything illegal.
FHP officials report one hit and run accident in Gadsden county involving a
Panama City resident Thursday evening.
No one was injured in the accident. They believe this car to be part of the
Gumball 3000 racing group.
Gumball 3000 racers are known to have helicopters and planes, to scout the
roadways for police.
And FHP says they are also known to have radar-jamming devices.
Some Big celebrities associated with the event include David Hasselhoff,
Denis Rodman, and Tony Hawk. Gumball 3000 started on May 2nd and ends
Friday, May 8th in Miami.

Michael in Savannah

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia