[DeTomaso] Help needed with clutch slave

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Fri May 8 15:36:04 EDT 2009

Thanks.  I'm going to Sears in the next few hours to buy a complete set of new wrenches, including a 1/4" size.

Sincerely,

Chris

From: JDeRyke at aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 12:04:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Help needed with clutch slave
To: chrisvkimball at msn.com; detomaso at realbig.com

In a message dated 5/7/09 9:22:24 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

I just bled my new slave, and when I pushed the clutch down to see if it worked, it started to, then fluid shot out of the little valve.  I don't want to overtighten it and break it off, or is my problem the bleed valve just isn't tight enough?

.....or that junk from your system is under the pointy end, holding it off the base of the hole its supposed to seal. It doesn't take a lot of torque to seal off the bleed-needle but a Crescent wrench is not good enough. I use a 1/4" drive ratchet and appropriate socket. If the worst happens and someone does break one off, it can be drilled out. And if you bugger THAT up, Speedway sells a repair bushing and a new needle for less than $10, but the hole needs to be tapped to 1/8 pipe thread. Thats your last chance- beyond that, you've run out of cast iron to screw around with and will need a new caliper. Good luck- J Deryke