[DeTomaso] Electrical Gremlins?

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Fri May 8 11:21:04 EDT 2009

I had the false increase on my temp gauge with lights turned on also when I got my car.  Looking for the short I found many other gremlins splices etcand they are all fixed/removed now.  Of course I ended up taking off all gauges, dash, and most of the interior.  Then I added all the pantera elctronics stuff and really got way into it.  Funny how one thing leads to another huh??

To save time and make this a short story my black wire connection into the temp gauge as I recall had a loose screw.  Thus the faston tab was tight but the screw was about to fall out.  This caused the engine temp to read a jump from 180 to 260 instantly when I would turn on the lights.  Of course the engine temp was always really 180 as verified with a direct temp gauge in the block.  All the result of SoBills daisy chaining explanation and that the systems rely on other systems grounding.

I would check the ZF and major grounds but I bet the answer is behind your gauges.  I would check the wires and ground connection on the back of the gauges which can be done without removing the dash.
What sucks is some of the wires are short and it makes it difficult to check without disconnecting some wires.

I would check the engine temp gauge ground first for that screw in the back of the gauge.
Let me know if that is the culprit.

Clay