[DeTomaso] Help needed with clutch slave

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Fri May 8 01:52:16 EDT 2009

Thanks,

I re-bled it, came into the house to write the email question, then watched "The Office," then came back to the computer and read your response, tightened the bleed valve more, and now it doesn't appear to be leaking.

However, the clutch feels very different than it used to.  The stock slave was replaced with a new, long-throw version.  When I push on the clutch, there's about 1/2" of travel before it feels as if it is engaging, then it's much stiffer than the old one.  When my wife got in and pushed the clutch down (grumbling all the while about what a "cocoon" the Pantera is), I heard the ZF "click" when the pedal was pushed in all the way, which indicates to me the shift rod was rotated to its maximum.  I'm just a bit concerned that while I was in the house watching TV some air might have slipped back in through the bleed valve if it wasn't tight enough after the second bleed.

I have a screw stop which I just left adjusted to stop when the piston is all the way in (pedal is released).  I'm not sure of the correct setting for that; currently it's not really doing anything since it just touches the stop plate as the piston reaches its maximum retracted position.

Anything you can tell me I've done that seems wrong?

I haven't yet tried to start the car and shift, since it's after 10:30 PM and I like my neighbors.  I'll try that in the morning, unless you think I may have messed something up with the slave cylinder.

Thanks for your help!

Chris