[DeTomaso] Headlight bucket problem

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 7 03:41:46 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/6/09 18 40 24, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I removed my headlight buckets to do a 'Cats eye " conversion. Now I
> can't
> get them to fit right. They don't seem to want to line up. They are
> hanging
> up on the back edge when I try to close them. Is there a trick to aligning
> them?Boyd

Nope.   It's just trial and error; they also may need to be shimmed with
one or more washers between the back side of the headlight bucket, and the
platform (which is attached to the bar).

There is a very real danger of damaging the car if you're not careful.   If
the upper limit switch isn't adjusted properly, the electric motor has
enough torque to drive the back of the headlight bucket skin into the top of the
fenders, putting big-time six-inch-long dents on the top of both fenders.
Proceed with great caution!

I've recently gone through the headlight bucket aligning process on another
Pantera.   This car had some accident history and the body shop failed to
align the replacement fender properly, so the side of the headlight bucket
had been rubbing the inside of the fender opening badly for 30 years.   I had
to slot the mounting holes on the pad to get enough movement to slide the
bucket over so that it wouldn't touch.

The tolorences are very tight.   You can barely fit a business card between
the outer edges of the bucket (left and right) and the edges of the fender
opening.

It's generally easiest to align the buckets with the headlights down.   Pos
ition the buckets so they are perfectly centered in the fender opening, then
tighten the four nuts on the studs so they are just snug, and carefully
raise and lower the lights (don't use the headlight switch--either use a
trigger switch with jumper wires to the motor, or raise them manually).   Don't be
surprised if you have to fiddle around with shims and/or file or slot the
mounting holes to get the bucket to sit properly in the opening.

Good luck!