[DeTomaso] Brake Pad to Rotor Match, OK to trim pads???

kenn_green at yahoo.com kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 22:20:25 EDT 2009

I have been working with a local shop for about 3 years on an upgrade which includes Porsche 996 turbo calipers.  We are about done, but are having trouble finding an off the shelf rotor with as much radial extent and the pads, 2.4 inches.  The rotors I found are almost large enough, maybe 1/8 inch less radial extend than the pads, but the pads extend past the outer radius of the rotors using the Wilwood "Pantera" hats with an 8 on 7 5/8 bolt pattern.  The pads have to clear the hat bolts on the inside radius of the pads.  It also looks like there are clearance issues if the IDs of the rotors are reduced.

I've talked to pad makers and they all say it's fine to trim off friction material and people have told me they do it all the time. Does anyone have experience with pads that are larger than the rotors, or trimming the pads?  Any red flags?  I am talking about removing an arc of about 1/12 of the pad radial dimension.  They are BIG pads.

Ken