[DeTomaso] The Clutch in 5533

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Wed May 6 18:00:36 EDT 2009

Well, I did more searching... starting with the Fabulous SOBill
Gearhead Database, which I may point out has an extensive section on
Clutch information, I copied all the possibilities to a temp file,
then started searching.   Kudos to Bill.

With the objective of keeping things inexpensive, I am not looking to
buy all -new- stuff or switch to a diaphragm style at this point.  The
next objective would be to makes sure things are in good shape, which
means I should have the flywheel surface ground and the pressure plate
repaired or replaced and replace the disc.

At $25 to surface the face of the flywheel, I can't beat that.
(flywheels go anywhere from $300 to $600, ouch!)

$80 to replace friction material on my disc is a good deal.

The $280 to recondition the pressure plate was a bit hard to take, so
that became my focus.

The ebay deal is a GREAT deal. It's a new pressure plate, proper part
number (checked the gearhead database), and it's half price.

Next, I found NAPA sells a reconditioned unit, current part number NCL
CA7350 (I had to cross the older Rayloc part number from the
database).  This sells for $82.49.  That's nearly $200 off the price
to rebuild my old one, and about $50 less than the new unit on ebay.

I think I now have my clutch work down to under $200.  This is
starting to look palatable.  :)

I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback and leading me into
doing the right things.

Asa Jay

Quoting asajay at asajay.com: