[DeTomaso] The Clutch in 5533

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue May 5 23:50:26 EDT 2009

Hi all,

On the advice of some, since the ZF is out of my Pantera at the moment,
I removed the clutch this evening.  Although the unit had been working
just fine and I believe it would continue working, I am now torn between
that idea and replacing everything based on what I found today.

I have documented the photos here:
http://tinyurl.com/dycjvj

The major items are:
- Flywheel surface
- Needle pilot bearing
- Clutch disc wear
- Pressure plate wear

The flywheel surface appears like it's been roasting clutches.  The
surface otherwise is smooth to the touch and actually begins to clean up
with a scotchbrite-type pad.  The one item that concerns me, if you look
at the zoomed in photo here:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2244
you will see what appear to be cracks across the face.  These don't
appear to clean up with the pad.  I need someone with more brains than
me to explain this to me, but I think it best to get a new Flywheel,
which I really didn't want to do (it's a money thing).

The pilot bearing you will note is a needle bearing style.  The needles
are actually shorter than I imagined and also spaced farther apart than
I would have expected.  The bearing feels good, has no binding, etc.  I
think I'll probably re-use that unless someone convinces me I shouldn't.

The clutch disc has wear, though not bad.  There is a date stamp of Mar
9 1984, so it's been a while.  I have another shot near the end of the
album which shows my dial caliper measuring an average .300 thickness.
I have no idea if this is near correct or not.  Since it's out, I should
replace it.

The Pressure plate needs to be surfaced or replaced.  The photos will
show a worn surface.  I can't catch a finger on any ridges, but I -can-
feel irregularities in the surface.  This will -not- clean up with a
scotchbrite pad.  You can also see some part number (maybe) stamped in
the housing, MODEL 11CF  (or IICF).  Another stamping is something like
1(or something)W8.

So...
- Should I replace the flywheel?
- Should I replace the pressure plate or just have it resurfaced?
- Should I replace the pilot bearing?
- Does my disc appear to be about the correct thickness?

Thanks,
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie