[DeTomaso] Remote oil filter setup

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:40:04 EDT 2009

Isn't there such a thing as oil pressure being too high? With out really
knowing anything about the science behind the flow dynamics I would think
that higher pressure would put more stress on connections and gaskets and
increase the possibility of "blow by" and leaks. I would think that a higher
volume of oil flow would be preferential. My logic may be flawed but the
more oil volume flowing through the system the less time it has to get over
heated and the greater volume being pushed through the filtration system the
more often the total volume is going to be cycled through the entire system
and completely filtered. If the High pressure pump derives it's higher
pressure through the use of a high pressure relief spring,  the oil is going
to remain in the block longer and only move when the pressure builds to the
point that the relief springs limit is reached. I am pretty confident that
higher pressure would also result in higher temperature which is
an undesirable effect. Also the higher pressure will undoubtedly put all the
seals, gaskets , and other connections at a higher stress level and
increase's the chance of a failure.  It is my understanding that you can't
compress a liquid. When there is a fire the objective is to pump more water
on the fire not water at higher pressure. The advantage of a
greater volume of oil circulating through the system  seems to have obvious
advantages. If you had a pump that pushed at greater volume at a higher
pressure that might offer advantages over  a pump that creates high pressure
by using a restrictive spring valve. That concept reminds me of holding your
finger over the end of a garden hose. You get higher pressure but at a much
lower volumeBoyd.