[DeTomaso] Remote oil filter setup

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 5 16:20:37 EDT 2009

Expanding on the posts so far, I also suggest that if one is running remote
oil filter(s) WITH an oil heat exchanger, all on external oil lines that
may not be real Aeroquip, you install and run your rig and carefully monitor
oil pressure at the rear of the block. This is the stock place and gives you
worst-case oil pressure after all the bearings etc. I would also use an
accurate (i.e- non-stock) pressure gauge. With some rigs, it may pay to change
your oil pump to a high volume pump to compensate for pumping losses through
many feet of external hose and the two devices which are built with
right-angle fittings. This is really the only reason to run a non-stock 351-C oil
pump I can think of, short of going dry-sump.
With my rig, the all-Aeroquip lines are short enough, and have real teflon
inners so line friction is not an issue; my oil pressure with a completely
stock pump is virtually the same as without the add-ons, even after many
hours of hi-speed highway driving. But YMMV- J Deryke