[DeTomaso] Jim Demick Gumball report

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 5 12:30:13 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

Word from Jim Demick....

Mike

=====

 Fellow Gumball Watchers,

 I received a call from Robert and Justin about 5:15pm yesterday and they
told me that they were nearing Winslow, Arizona.  They had just passed a line
of 5 Gumball Rally cars stopped by police on the side of the road.  One of
the rally cars was being flat bedded away....I doubt it was a mechanical
problem :o)

 Robert informed me that they were about 5 hours away from Santa Fe and
that the police were thick.  Somebody had tipped them off....could it possibly
have been the media coverage on every news station within 1000 miles?

 I decided since I wanted to avoid the extra patrols, I would head up to
Santa Fe a bit earlier.  Its about 80 miles from my house to Santa Fe and as I
headed north through Albuquerque about 6:00pm, suddenly, a late model
silver 996 Porsche Twin turbo slowly passed me on my left.  I was doing about 70
and he wasn't going much more than 72.  I wondered if he was a Gumballer.
My suspicions were confirmed when I noticed that nearly every body panel was
plastered with sponsor logos...and then the tell-tale sign...a Gumball 3000
banner in the back window!  I had me a Gumball....it would be a very
interesting drive..err..flight to Santa Fe.

 Traffic was heavy and we motored along and I decided to pass the Porsche.
A few seconds later the Porsche passed me again.  We hadn't exceeded
80mph....yet.  Very shortly thereafter, I became a participant in the Gumball 3000
:o)  Some very politically incorrect speeds happened that would
make mothers cluck for their children, burly men wince and plaster really big grins on
the faces of Pantera enthusiasts.  Suffice to say, that a 38 year old
Pantera can handle it's own with the worlds best exotic cars.

 Santa Fe was a total mad house as we made our way from the hotel to the
parking area for the participants.  there had to have been somewhere between
3000-5000 people there just to see the rally arrive.  Since I wasn't an
official Gumballer, I found public parking and went to find the Porsche owner.  I
spotted him near his car and told him that I really enjoyed my trip to
Santa Fe with him...he said, "OH!  That's was you in the Pantera?  It was a
blast, wasn't it?"  I just smiled.  The Porsche was the first Gumball car to
arrive in Santa Fe.  He had a Pantera to thank for his quicker arrival :o)

 The crowds were in total party mode.  I have never seen crowds that large
for a car event of any kind in New Mexico.  The other Gumball cars arrived
fairly dispersed as far as time went...by 8:00pm, out of 135 cars only 15 or
so had arrived.  By 9:00 there were probably 30 or so, by 10:00pm
maybe 80. The crowds had swelled to such an extent (and somewhat unruly...imagine
that!) the Santa Fe police department, the Santa Fe Sheriffs department AND the
New Mexico state police we all called in to clear people out and restore
order.  There were almost as many police as spectators!

 What I found totally hilarious was when the Lamborghini's, Ferrari's
and such would rev their engines to the enjoyment of the crowd...I swear two
people could carry on a normal conversation while standing at the rear bumper of
the cars while the owner smashed the gas pedal!  Then at about 10:30pm came
an unmistakable sound.  I was a block and a half away and I knew that
Robert and Justin had arrived.  That unmistakable sound of a Pantera resonated
off the buildings.

 I quickly walked toward the sound and found Robert and Justin and
introduced myself.  You could not meet a nicer couple of guys!  Robert said that the
problems with reverse had miraculously healed itself and I said then, let's
leave it alone.  I had brought tools to do whatever repairs needed but was
also nervous that messing with something at that time of night could cause
problems that might not be seen until the next day.  I told Robert that what
he described as his problem with reverse sounded like a possible small
amount of air in the hydraulic system.  He may have been able to push an air
bubble to the top of the slave cylinder where it might stay out of the way.
Robert said the Pantera was running like a freight train and he and Justin were
really proud to be flying the Pantera banner in the Gumball 3000.  It had a
large crowd around it when it arrived, that was for sure.

 Car were to have expected to be rolling in until at least midnight but I
needed to head back home.  Satisfied that Robert's Pantera was in great
shape, I said goodbye, wished him and Justin a great trip and headed back home.
It was a great day.

 If you get the chance to meet the rally at one of it's stops, you won't be
disappointed.  Robert and Justin are doing us proud!

 Jim Demick
Panteras of New Mexico