[DeTomaso] Remote oil filter setup

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Mon May 4 19:23:58 EDT 2009

My take on the Amsoil bypass filtration is to save it for Fleet
vehicles.  On a classic or muscle car like the Pantera, I don't know
I'd go that far.  Just change regular filters on a regular basis, but
use -good- filters.  I've not tried the newest model of Amsoil oil
filter, but the old ones were pretty nice.  I still have a stock of
them as I purchased them by the caseload long ago.

On the Mach I, I installed an Accusump two quart oil accumulator with
electric valve.  The valve is closed unless voltage is applied.  I
have it tied to the ignition.  When I turn the ignition ON, the valve
opens and oil pressurizes the system.  I can actually see it on the
oil pressure gauge on the dash.  Once I get the oil pressure, then I
start the car.  The engine pressurizes the oil accumulator and when I
turn the key OFF, the valve shuts and traps the oil under pressure in
the accumulator.  Pretty much a close to a pre-oiler as I'll get
without spending a -lot- more money.

I went with a two quart as the three, more commonly sold, was too
large to find a suitable spot for.  I have some photos here:
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/?g2_page=7
there were taken with a regular film 35mm camera, which I'm sometime
not very good at running, so forgive the quality of photos.  :)

Asa Jay