[DeTomaso] Remote oil filter setup

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 19:10:42 EDT 2009

My 2-cents, and it's only worth about that, is that all gasoline powered production
automobiles currently being produced come with only ONE oil filter. Yet, they all offer
anywhere from 50,000-100,000 mile warranties.  Some don't even call for a tuneup until
100,000 miles.

Anyway, oil and filters should be changed every 3,000-6,000 miles (always err on the side
of conservatism - doesn't hurt anything to change it too frequently). I've torn down late
model OEM engines which showed nary any wear on bearing surfaces after
120,000-150,000 miles. This is the result of regular and frequent oil changes.

So why would you want two filters? To extend/double the interval between oil changes? If
it's a redundant system (two identical filters inline) the first filter will catch most of the
contaminants and begin to restrict flow to the second filter and subsequently the engine. I
suppose if the first filter has a bypass valve, which most do, then the second filter can
catch whatever bypassed the first filter. But it seems like a lot of unnecessary complexity,
as others have already stated.

I would merely use a filter without a bypass valve and change the oil regularly. Or for added peace of mind if you're concerned that the filter is getting "full" and losing it's flow/filtering capacity, change your oil every 3,000 miles and change the filter at 1,500 mile intervals so it's only in service for half the time/mileage between oil changes.

YMMV!
Garth