[DeTomaso] Remote oil filter setup

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 4 16:44:25 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/4/09 13 25 30, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Taking advantage of the subject to ask a question I've always wondered...
>
> What's the real advantage of the remote oil filter setup?
>
> I can see a downside, namely those items mentioned by Julian (added cost,
> complexity, failure points, etc).
>
> Unless you install a remote oil pan plug at the same time, you've got to
> crawl under the car anyway, so what's the upside?

None.   They are just there for bling and complexity for its own sake.
But from a functional perspective they do nothing whatsoever.   (Well, some of
them use two filters, doubling your filtering.   So what?   When was one
oil filter insufficient for the job?)

There are some automobiles that benefit from a remote oil filter
arrangement due to packaging constraints (I have to have one on my 427 Cobra for that
reason, and it makes changing the filter a real pain), but otherwise, when I
look at a car that has had all this hardware added, I just roll my eyes and
think, "Oh brother...."

Mike

2009 3 Free CREDIT SCORES: See Your 3 Credit Scores from
All 3 Bureaus FREE!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221797372x1201397989/aol?redir=https:%2F%2Fwww.freescore.com%2FOffers%2FStart%2FFreeCreditR
eportAndScore.aspx%
3FID%3D91831F371F138345B53A153F49D4D872%26siteid%3De927580bf7)