[DeTomaso] Remote oil filter setup

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon May 4 16:41:32 EDT 2009

Charlie,

Boyd came back offline and is apparently also installing an oil cooler, but as a standalone I don't see a remote filter offering many advantages, unless you are running a high performance motor that calls for a dual filtration set up. The oil lines add complexity, increase oil pump load and add the risk of leaks or failure.

On my oil cooler I'm opting for an Earl's sandwich plate, that sits between the block and filter moving the filter out maybe an inch, but nominally in the stock location. The oil cooler lines run straight out the sandwich plate and the nice part is that the sandwich plate includes a built in oil thermostat, so plumbing is kept to a minimum, one line out to the oil cooler and one back.

I'm looking at feeding the two oil lines straight into the cab and out of the bottom of the car under the center console to the laminova oil cooler I will mount in place of a portion of the under car water tube. I've looked at it closely and think it's doable, with the addition of a custom skid plate under the oil cooler.

Julian