[DeTomaso] Dellorto 40 DLRAx4 Carburators, Linkage and Manifold

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon May 4 12:58:02 EDT 2009

Parts are available from Europe, although I'm not sure about availability in the US. Like everything it soon adds up if the carbs need an overhaul or rebuild.

The Dellorto DRLA's are essentially the same as a Weber IDF and come in 36, 40, 45 & 48mm sizes, but the Dellorto's are considered one step larger than a Weber i.e. a 40 DRLA is equivalent to a 44 IDF etc. Thus on a 351 you would need the DRLA 44's, on a 302 of less than 400 HP you can get away with 44 Webers (40 DRLA's), but the 40's are going to run out of steam very early on a reasonable built 351. The manifold with the DRLA’s on Ebay is another issue as it is an 8.2 deck height wet manifold, where you need a 9.2" deck height dry manifold.

The beauty of Weber IDF's is they are more streetable and shorter, thus with the right manifold they can be made to fit under the Pantera engine screen and no decklid notching required (I'm not sure if this applies to the Dellorto's too). The problem is the required manifold (Weber or Dellorto) is unobtainium being a Cain (Australia) unit no longer in production. There was an Aussie guy that got the rights and was supposedly tooling up to recast them a year or so ago, but I think that fizzled out.

Julian