[DeTomaso] ZF removal question

www.DeTomasoRegistry.org Pantera007 at provamo.com
Fri May 1 12:17:46 EDT 2009

Yes... and No.

This was the topic of debate at the last ProvaMo tech session.  For those
watching (and listening) to the real-time broadcast they heard more than I
did, as I was busy running the event...

Let's see if I can summarize... as I was not present during most of the
talk...

The ZF case is aluminum.  The difference between studs and bolts is that a
stud splits the torque tension between the two ends, where the (steel) bolt
applies most/all of the tension stress on the non-head end.  This end is in
the aluminum case.

Also, the ZF applies its rotational tension (think about hard acceleration)
to these side mounts, thru the studs or bolts into the chassis.

The reason the early ZF tail mount was replaced/upgraded to the side mounts
was due to the flex and rotational stresses involved, so it is substantial.

I have heard of at least two occasions where the studs stripped out the case
threads.  I have not heard of a problem when (the ZF designed) studs are
used.

So as much as I loved the idea of the ease that bolt use provides (and I
switched to bolts), once I understood why studs are used, I switched back.

This would be a great topic for a "Fastener Expert" to chime in!

Jack, you have some knowledge on this subject, what do you think?

Dan Jones you have an opinion?

Who is the guy on this list that has 'expert' fastener knowledge?

Chuck

Whatever you do, remember to replace the six rear mounting studs with bolts
so that the next removal is not such a PITA!