[DeTomaso] New Pantera owner on Long Island

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 13:12:55 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/31/09 9:56:03 AM, spkorb at gmail.com writes:

> Finally it's all fixed.  New oil pan, one piece stainless valves and new
> springs, safety wired ZF, new oil pump.  I can drive in peace with my 12 year
> old Holley sitting proudly on top all because I took the engine out to fix it
> right.

A few things to add; double-pin the distributor drive gear because neoprene
valve stem seals will also fall apart in time and their debris will cause the
same oil pump trouble. Adding a hardened oil pump driveshaft is also mandatory
for the same reasons; once the gear is double-pinned, the shaft is the next
weak link. And older Holleys don't have the backfire-protecting ball-check valve
in their throttle plates. Those that do, can still pop the diaphragms in
their power valves if your engine is persistent enough in backfiring (as I found).
FWIW- J Deryke