[DeTomaso] New Pantera owner on Long Island

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 12:55:26 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:38 PM, <wkooiman at earthlink.net> wrote:

> He said 4779.  That's a 750 dbl pumper - no vac secondaries.
>
> I agree it sounds like a lean condition, but it could also be a bad timing
> chain - right?

Whoops!  My bad.

I agree that you should check your timing chain, Robert.  When I bought my
Pantera, the previous owner had changed the timing chain, but he did not go
far enough with the replacement and it bit me again and again.  You *can*
replace the timing chain with the engine in the car, but all the pieces stay
in the oil pan.  I spent weeks tracking down a timing problem due to a
sheared distributor pin, which I fixed.  Then I had oil pressure problems in
corners.  There was so much debris getting caught in the oil pickup screen
the pump would get blocked off.

Finally it's all fixed.  New oil pan, one piece stainless valves and new
springs, safety wired ZF, new oil pump.  I can drive in peace with my 12
year old Holley sitting proudly on top all because I took the engine out to
fix it right.

Now I need to fix the brakes.  It's always something :)

sean

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '60 Metro, '59 A35, '71 Pantera