[DeTomaso] Registration car in calif

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 00:30:50 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/30/09 20 59 14, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> You can run into a problem if you register and insure a car in a state that
> you have no legitimate connection to. Worse (in my opinion) and a much
> greater likely hood then a state pursuing fraud charges is the possibility of your
> insurance company denying your claim if your car is wrecked or stolen in
> California , and registered and insured in a state where you do not have a legal
> residence.

Absolutely true.   Regardless of the state that the car is registered in, it
should be insured in the actual location where the car is kept.   Your
insurance company doesn't care one bit abou your license plate, but they DO care
about the location of your garage.

Having said that, if you have multiple garages, and can argue the case that
your car is a temporary resident in the other one, that should suffice.   But
if your address in State X is just a PO box and you have no physical address
there, but you're insuring your car there, you're leaving yourself wide open...