[DeTomaso] New Pantera owner on Long Island

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 21:30:16 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM, <LEVITT1946 at aol.com> wrote:

>   When I try to  put my foot back on the gas she starts to stumble.she does
> not stall. Under this condition I start from a standing start and she chuggs
> and then all of a sudden she takes off like nothing happened.Does it sound
> like power valve or bad plugs or something totally different? carb? Lost!
> Should I just get rid of this 3 year old holley with about 2000 miles on it
> and get an edelbrock? Open for any and all suggestions .I just want my baby
> to purr.

It does sound like a power valve, but it could be an accelerator pump or
premature secondary butterflies opening.  If you pump the throttle, does
that help at all?  Pumping the throttle makes the accelerator pump squirt
more fuel into the carb.  It sounds like you may have a lean condition.  If
you disable the secondaries (keep them closed) that can rule out a premature
secondary opening problem.  A kit is available from Holley with different
spring rates to get the secondaries to open later.   And you might just want
to pick up a new 6.5hg power valve and pop it in.  It works for most
applications including my stock '71, but I had a moody 351C in my '68
fastback that worked best with a 4.5hg valve.

There's a lot to carburators Edelbrock, Holley, Rochester or Carter.  Entire
books are devoted to tuning.  It's a mechanical computer, and it's
programmed with nozzles, springs, cams and levers.  You can get a teacup to
work; but tuning one is a science with a mystical lore surrounding it.

Remember to keep a fire extinguisher handy!

sean

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '60 Metro, '59 A35, '71 Pantera