[DeTomaso] 02 sensor help needed

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Mon Mar 30 02:03:31 EDT 2009

fresnofinches at aol.com skrev:
> In a nut shell, are all three-wire narrow-band oxygen sensors basically
> the same from an electrical signal basis?

As far as I know there are three common types of narrow band sensors:

1) One wire (black). Unheated, sensor ground through sensor body.
2) Three wire (black, 2 white wires). Heated, sensor output on black
wire, sensor ground through sensor body, 12V heater element between
white wires.
3) Four wire (black, gray, 2 white wires). Heated, sensor output on
black, sensor ground through gray wire, 12V heater between white wires.

The sensor output is the same on all sensors due to the design of the
sensor (Nernst cell)

As the sensor output voltage is quite low (~1V) I recommend using four
wire sensors and connecting the sensor ground directly to the controller
instead of relying on the ground through the exhaust.

> have a Halmeter AF/30 air-fuel meter on 2511. It is using the supplied
> Bosch 3-wire narrow band sensor. Common ground for heater and Lambda
> signal.

I have never seen a sensor with a common ground for heater and sensor.
What color are the wires?

> I also have, in a box, a first-generation ANALOG Holley
> Projection 4 TBI fuel injection unit.
> Came with 2511 and I'm moving
> towards installing it next winter.
>
> This can be upgraded with a 3-wire, Holley narrow-band-based O2 kit to provide better
> AF monitoring/control in low/mid ranges.
>
> There is one of these upgrade kits on eBay, but it is minus the O2 sensor.
>
> Should the Halmeter 3-wire sensor work with the Holley kit?

Most likely.

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 444 33 21