[DeTomaso] Ex works Grp 4 and restored Grp 3 for sale

Patrick Hals patrickhals at skynet.be
Sat Mar 28 05:43:22 EDT 2009

Hi all,
The GR4 is the ex Warren Tope car ( VIN 2344) . I wanted to buy the car (
then belonging to Alex Quattelbaum III) but was discouraged by its
"butchered" condition, after Guy Trigaux  went to inspect the car on my
behalf. Guy lives very close to Alex, and suggested I'd buy another factory
car.
2344 now has been totally restored by Philippe Olczyk, and is in prime
condition throughout. Still, the car is far from being FIA legal in Europe
( Windsor engine, rear drive train...). Guy and I have inspected the car
together in Brussels about a year ago. We noticed that very few original
factory GR4 parts remain on the car, as the car was severely damaged on all
sides, on several occasions... Still, the restoration is well done.
The advertized two other GR3 cars are replica, probably well done, but with
a little effort, you can buy a real one...
There are two original factory GR3 cars for sale in Europe at present :
strangely, they are both located in Belgium. One ( unrestored, VIN 1070 )
that I have seen, is a very good base for future restoration ( see
http://www.fastcar.be/fr/a-vendre/voitures-de-collection/de-tomaso-pantera-1070.html )
This car has been on Ebay on several occasions, and never sold. May be the
reserve price is too high, but I confirm, it is a real GR3, and a sound car
that needs some attention. It can be back on a track at reasonable costs, in
a very short while.
The other real factory GR3 car belongs to Gerard Marcy ( VIN 5006 ) I have
test driven this car, it is the best street-race-rally car you can buy, in
concours condition, FIA historic passport, ... this car has it all and is
just perfect, but it IS expensive for a GR3 car... ( unsold at Bonham's
Rétromobile six weeks ago ). If someone needs Gérard's email or telephone,
please let me know.
Dave Adler's Group C car is becoming a more and more attractive investment,
and for sure, a great car to race, but maybe better in Group 5 Le Mans trim
( where it was raced in 1979) .
I take this occasion to announce that my "Warhol" car ( VIN 2342 ) has now
been sold to a gentleman driver in Germany, Jorg SCHWARZE, who intends to
continue racing the car in the months to come. Let's wish him a warm welcome
( email address above) and a lot of success. ( That will make an additional
Pantera entry at Le Mans 2010... get your tickets now ) . My car has been
sold through the help of Jan Luehn, who did a very good job. (
www.janluehn.com ) and who has some very interesting race cars for sale.
Patrick
2862-9628-3679