[DeTomaso] California Historic Plates-BUT

Rod Kunishige rkunishige at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 27 17:59:27 EDT 2009

Here is what I have published on the subject.

Just got my 57 Chevy whiched to Historical Plates and the key words are "operated principally ", therefore, an occassional 'other' than club event is just fine.  Law is ruled by exact wording not guessing.  If exclusive is intended, it would be stated as such.  I'm sure that a good lawyer can argue your use for a drive to warm up the liquids in the car and the hearts of those watching you go by is appropriate.

Rod

Historical Plates.
California Legislators removed the rolling 30 year exemption, an alternative is open to Pantera owners --- register your favorite ride as an Historical vehicle.  Outlined in an article by John Wilson in the May issue of PCNC Newsletter, this special interest plate is smog exempt under code 27.070 of the registration manual (pages 27 & 28).

Our cars qualify for Historical Plates because they are at least 25 years old, are of special interest limited production – sold less than 2,000 cars in California VC5051 (b), and is “…operated principally for the purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities” VC5004 (f).  According to one CHP officer, this provision allows for other uses of the car legally.
This does mean that you will have to give up your vanity plates if you decide to double your exemption status.  Historical plates are numbered sequentially with no other options and cost all of $25.

Please remember that what the lawmakers give us can be taken away.

Rod Kunishige, April 18, 2003 rev 6/21/2005.

Historical Plates again.
July 5, 2005
California Legislators removed the rolling 30 year exemption.  I believe Pantera owners would be wise to register their favorite ride as a Historical vehicle.  Outlined in an article by John Wilson in the May issue of PCNC Newsletter, this special interest plate is smog exempt under code 27.070 of the registration manual (pages 27 & 28).

Our cars qualify for Historical Plates because they are at least 25 years old, are of special interest limited production – sold less than 2,000 cars in California VC5051 (b), and is “…operated principally for the purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities” VC5004 (f).  According to one CHP officer, the “principally” provision allows for other uses of the car legally.
You will have to give up your vanity plates if you decide to double your exemption status.  Historical plates are numbered sequentially with no other option and cost all of $25.

Please remember that what the lawmakers give us they can take away and that these plates may not be exempt from the “sniffer” road tests.  My understanding is that the law contradicts itself here.  Don’t forget that our lawmakers negotiated the 30 year rolling feature to gain our support in the first place --- promises,  promises.