[DeTomaso] Holley Strip vs Street dominator question

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 02:50:36 EDT 2009

> What the difference between the Holley strip dominator and the street
> dominator other than the port size 4v(strip) and 2v(street).

Both are single plane intakes and have trapezoidal carb pads but
that's where the similarity ends.  The Street Dominator weighs 20 lbs
with 1 1/4" wide by 1 7/8" tall ports, A/B heights of 4.3/8" and 5 3/8",
3.25" short runners and 6.3125" long runners.  The Street Dominator
has carb heat, a choke well and EGR, along with a vacuum fitting on
the #4 runner.  Also the runners are numbered with the firing order.
The plenum is clearanced for a Motorcraft 4300D spreadbore but transitions
to a trapezoidal carb pad.  The plenum lis 1/2" and would benefit from
a radiusing.  All the dividers are equally recessed with rounded blunt
leading edges but need the sharp edges smoothed.

The Strip Dominator is a taller Air Gap intake with larger 4V sized ports
and weighs 17.5 lbs.  Vacuum fitting in aft runner, has a tapped boss
between the first and second runners at the flange, dual throttle linkage
bosses, plenum depth is 3 3/4" at center, ports are 1 5/8" wide by 2 3/8"
tall.  A/B heights are 4 1/4" and 5 1/4".  Short runner is 2 1/2" and
long runner is 7.125".  No EGR or carb heat.

> Is there a low rise single plain manifold that stands out over the others?

For 2V or 4V heads?  Redline in Australia makes an intake that looks
just like the Strip Dominator but has 2V ports.  I'd love to get my
hands on one of those for testing.

> There is a street dominator for a 351c for sale locally. Thought it might
> be interesting to compare it to my Weiand X 2v.

Buy it and give it a try.  Intake testing is easy on a 351C with dry
manifold.  Intakes can be sensitive to engine combo so it's worth a test
on your engine then sell the losing intake.

> I was looking for a Strip Dominator and switched my preference to
> the Blue Thunder 4145 dual plane manifold.
>
> There was a test done about 10 years ago on a
> Cleveland (I forget the cubic inches)

October 1993 Super Ford Article "Planes of Power".

> and as I recall the motor had over 12 to 1 compression and all sorts of
> other mods...far from stock but the number were interesting.

That engine had a 13.7:1 compression ratio, 377 cubic inches (offset
ground 351C crank), Madden solid roller cam of 264/270 degrees
duration @ 0.050" lift and 0.723 inch lift. Not sure what the lobe
centers were but springs were 210 lbs on the seat and 510 lbs open.
Given the cam and compression ratio, that engine should have performed
much better.  Our 10:1 408C with street hydraulic roller engine made
about the same horsepower and substantially more torque (50+ ft-lbs)
at a much lower RPM.

> The Blue Thunder makes some very good numbers but shifts the max torque
> down over 1200 rpms. It depends on what you want.

Three different Blue Thunder intakes were tested for that article.
My guess is they were all modified.  We've flow bench tested and
dyno'd several Blue Thunders and out-of-the-box they don't do that
well.  Half the runners flow poorly.  If you correct those runners
on a flow bench, the intake can make numbers close to that of the
Strip Dominator but in our testing the unported intake BT was down
46 HP to the Strip Dominator.  A ported low rise Ford dual plane
beat it by 31 HP.

> You give up a little on both numbers with the Blue Thunder but
> it appears to be more usable power.

On our 408C, the Strip Dominator made more torque from 3100 RPM
(the lowest RPM we tested) on up.  Results may be different on
a 351C and we will be testing both intakes on a 351C in the near
future.

Dan Jones