[DeTomaso] shock bushings

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 25 16:52:40 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/25/09 9 08 25, panteratime at aol.com writes:

> My original front shocks need their upper and lower bushings replaced.? Can
> I get these at a local auto supply???
>
>>>HAHA!!   Not a chance!   Replacements are available in two styles:
polyurethane (relatively cheap), or stock metal/rubber bonded (ranging from
expensive to stupid expensive; vendor prices range from about $20 each to $80
each!!!!)   They're a Pantera-specific part (although they are probably also the same
as those used on Ferraris/Maseratis etc., and thus you can pay 3x more from
those sources).

> What to do the job today)? I assume I can cut/drill out old bushing and
> press new ones in with vice???
>
>>>Yup!

> I had all the a arm bushings professionally replaced in 2004.??(bought from
> one of our Pantera vendors.)?
> Unemployment can make you resort to doing the darndest things!!!
>

>>>Since you're on a tight budget, you might want to opt for the poly
bushings.   Even if longevity isn't their strong suit, the stock ones don't last too
long either.   And as your car never ventures more than a few hundred yards
from your house (HAH!) chances are you won't wear them out any time soon. :>)

Be sure to lubricate them heavily before installing them; not only on the
inside and outside, but also on the outer edges that rub against the mounting
ears on the body.