[DeTomaso] New Pantera owner on Long Island

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 15:01:57 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM, <LEVITT1946 at aol.com> wrote:

> car feels  like she is missing or tugging and I know its the carb. When i
> shut her down she  sometimes blows a flame out the tailpipes. Any ideas?
> Blown or
> wrong power  valves installed? Stuck float levels?
> All of this seemed to start right after I installed the electric choke. Car
> was running rich before the choke by the way . Fuel pressure is at 7.
> vacuum
> approx 13. Mallory electronic ignition. Plugs are dark with less than 1000
> miles on them

I've had stuck float valves, but under those conditions it's really hard to
get anywhere at all.  You can set up a mirror and a flashlight, and have a
partner (in full Nomex gear) watch for fuel drizzling out while it's
running.  A blown power valve can make the car run awfully rich too, and a
power valve set at 6.5" vacuum with a super rumpety cam can pulse extra fuel
in the carb at idle since the valve will see low enough vacuum to open.

Have you checked your timing to see if it's spot on?  I had what I thought
was a carburetor problem, but most of it was my timing was retarded.  After
adjusting the timing my car ran pretty good, if a little rich.  It had
drifted off because the bolt was snug but not snug enough on the
distributor.  At least it gave me a good base line.

sean

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '60 Metro, '59 A35, '71 Pantera