[DeTomaso] NPC - electric motors

Larry - Ohio Time Corp larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Mon Mar 23 10:19:37 EDT 2009

Hi Will,

You test AC amps with a clamp on amp meter. (Harbor Freight, Sears or
rental)

http://www.professionalequipment.com/electric-meters/

You need to clamp it on a single wire (hot). You may need to make a test
line with 3 individual wires (Hot, Nut, Gr) just like a short extension
cord.

You did not say you were using a GFI (ground fault interrupt) breaker, you
should be around water. They can become very picky about things after a
storm and trip faster. I had all mine go bad in the house with a lightning
strike to a tree 100 feet from the house.

You should add up the total draw (should be listed on the items) for
everything on the breaker to see how close you are to the max draw. Is it 15
or 20 amp breaker? I bet you are close to 15 amps.

I would not think the motor would be damaged by running on low power during
the outage. Make sure the pump is clean and turning free. Clean the filters
too.

Call me if you need more help. 800.255.6446

Larry (do your fish sing like on TV?) - Cleveland