[DeTomaso] Sheet Metal Fab

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 22 14:27:53 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/19/09 3:47:27 PM, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> I am in the process of re-doing both sides of my firewall.  I have created
> cardboard templates for adding SS or aluminum covers to the engine-side of
> the firewall.  (I have installed B-Quiet insulation on both sides of the
> firewall; the covers will be installed over the insulation.)  A few questions for
> anyone out there who has performe similar work. What gauge SS or aluminum
> should I request for fabrication. How should I attach the covers to the firewall
> (rivets, screws, glue,

I assume this is to make a clean, shiny firewall. Aluminum scratches easily
and won't stay shiny very long, and its almost impossible to reach with a
polishing cloth or buffer on the engine side. So I'd use stainless steel, in maybe
0.040" or at most 0.060" thickness. The thinner, the cheaper and lighter and
easier to form it will be, but also easier to accidently make a dent in when
doing routine maintenence on the engine or even adjusting the seats. .060" is
1/16" and in ss, is pretty robust. All this will be fairly heavy so I'd use
screws/bolts and acorn nuts through the real firewall. Glue will melt under engine
heat, and rivits are kind of permenent if you want to change something.
Good luck- J Deryke