[DeTomaso] ZDDP and API

Robert Kirk kirkbrit at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 07:35:30 EDT 2009

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I have not read the referenced article, but I would think
that it refers to the plain vanilla 5W-30 and not the racy 15W-50 race oil
that is *supposed* to have a good dose of ZDDP?    Is that right?   The
Mobil-1 race oil was not specifically tested and *it* (if as advertised) may
be good?
More zinc phosphate for everybody!, Chuck Engles
Mobile 1 5W-30 is the only one mentioned by Valvoline.  I am sure Mobile and others have
good oil blends.

Blaine Ballentine at Central Petroleum tells me that both synthetic and mineral oils cause rubberoid (my word coinage) seals to swell but mineral oil does a superior job.  In a retro fit of oils where an engine broken in with synthetic has mineral oil introduced the seals will be compatible.  However, if a motor which is broken in with mineral oil and subsequently synthetic is introduced, seal failure may occur.  There are several considerations at hand, all out racing, hi performace street and occasionally used collector cars, and of course newer street car with cat converters.
API etc ratings used to be auto industry driven.  Car builders told oil builders what they wanted and oil builders turned to API, ILSAC and I imagine there could be others, to certify that the oil met the standard.  Now the Goreites (EPA etc) tell the oil and car manufacturers that certain standards MUST be met.  Technical design via political objectives have been a horror story since the first additive was out lawed...ie. tetra ethlene.
Speaking only of the P part of ZDDP (phosphorus is what glazes inside a cat converter preventing it from its job) SG in 1990 and SH in 1992 had 0.12 maximum level content.  SJ in 1995 and SL in in 2000 had 0.10% maximum.  In 2004 SM rated oil saw overall ZDDP drop to 0.06% or 600ppm.

It is not my intention to get into the syn vs min oil base debate to which is better nor debate any brand as superior.  It would appear syn has won many over but each have up and down sides.  I still hold that for my cars which sit far more than are driven, a well formulated (that means costy) mineral based oil provides superior anti rust and film adhesion for a car which sits alot.  I further suggest than unless there are identifiable reasons for specific benefits offered by synthetics, superior blended mineral oils offer the best full spectrum protection.
Futher to the frey, Mobil 1 chose to go after Castrol Syntec which was labled synthetic.  Turns out Syntec was a mineral base oil where the parafin chain was altered in "synthesis".  Mobil lost that case in court.  Further there is a rationale that says if synthetics are added to oil then that oil could be called a synthetic blend.  ALL additives are synthetics.  Makes one wonder what other than real petroleum company (drillers refiners) are REALLY putting in the cans.
In conclusion, I believe the best choice of oil will reflect the engine manufacturers initial API or ILSAC rating and finding an oil,syn min or blend, which reflects that rating.  Central Petroleum  Race oil is SJ-SF with 2400 zinc and 2200 phorsphorus.  Street level oil is SJ, SH, SG, SF, SE, SD compatible rated with 1600ppm zinc and 1475 phosphorus.   It is now my choice of oil at about $4 a qt.

Regards,
Robert Kirk
www.kirks-auto.com