[DeTomaso] The unsung heroes of the List

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 22:05:21 EDT 2009

With all the bad news in the world and the rotten economy it is easy to
become cynical and think that this country and the rest of the world are
going to hell in a hand cart. You constantly hear about the greed on wall
street and about ponzi schemes and other examples selfishness and greed and
just when you are ready to write off mankind as a worthless species
deserving of the extinction that at times seems eminent you  ( if your
lucky) stumble across the oasis in the sea of despair known as "The Big
List" Here you find people who are constantly putting others needs ahead of
their own. Complete strangers who will take time out of their own hectic
lives to help a complete others  who's only connection to him is a shared
love of  a Hybrid sports car ( and I don't mean gas and electric!) I
remember when I first found the list. I had just purchased my car in in the
zeal of a kid with a new toy I got in over my head with out really knowing
what I was doing and fried half of my wiring harness under my dashboard. I
posted a HELP!!! message on the list and within in literally a few minutes I
had numerous replies from people offering me help, advice encouragement and
most importantly the feeling that I wasn't going to have to face this ordeal
alone. The person who wound up really helping me ( I won't mention any
names) sent me an e-mail with his phone number explaining" it would be
easier to diagnose and repair on the phone rather then through repeated
e-mails. He explained that he was on the West coast and sine I was in new
York that i should call him early in the morning. (early on the west coast
not New York) He told me we were going to test my perseverance not my check
book! I was amazed. I have owned allot of cars in my 54 years and lots of
other motorized toys but I had never found this kind of support or
camaraderie within any other group of guys that shared a common interest in
any other group before.Since thn I have received help in so many ways that I
can't begin to count them all. But they have included besides tons of advice
light switches, wireing diagrams, headlight limit switches, templates,
various nuts , bolts , fasteners all sorts of hard to find
or ridiculously priced odds and ends. I have seen the same type
of exchange take place among different people on the list just about
everyday since I joined. The best thing I have gotten is friends. I have met
people who I can truly call friends.The thing that motivated me to write
this post was this. Around two weeks ago I asked if anyone had a template of
the gauge panel for a 73L. Several people jumped right up and offered to
supply one. One guy sent  me a template via e-mail, another guy mailed me
three templates made out of different materials (all of them were great and
each served a different purpose. Today I got a box in the mail. I thought it
was the new Ferrari type triple air horns that I ordered last week after
someone posted a link to them on the list. You can imagine my surprise when
I opened the box and my horns weren't there! ( I thought the box felt light)
Instead I found a new custom made gauge panel for a 73L Pantera ! Not a
template, not a tracing , but a new gauge panel made out of sheet steel that
someone with the right tools and lots of skill had made for me. I
was completely blown, away. I was never asked if I wanted one and I never
asked or expected someone to give me one. In fact I thought it was
incredibly nice of someone just to take the time to trace one on paper for
me. But to make a perfect replica with every little notch needed for the
rocker switches to fit perfectly in, and painted flat black!  So next time
your hear a story on the news about another example of the depths of of
depravity that human beings are capable of. Remember the other extreme.
People who care about other people and who are willing to give of them
selves and their time and their resources and ask for nothing in return but
a thank you. We are all really lucky to be fortunate enough just  to own a
Pantera when there are people in this country that  don't have a place to
live or food to eat. but the thing that really makes us fortunate is not a
hunk of steel with wheels and more horsepower then any sane person needs it
is the freinds we have here on the list and the miracle that this crazy
Italian half breed attracts the nicest people in the world.
Boyd