[DeTomaso] ZF leaks

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Mar 19 15:37:04 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/19/09 11:06:07 AM, gaino at earthlink.net writes:

> My ZF has been leaking a little out each side of the output shafts that
> turn the axles. What is involved in replacing them?

Nothing last forever.... but this is your golden opportunity to
check/maintain a whole bunch of necessary areas all at once. First drain the ZF, and remove
the ZF from the Pantera. The two long bolts below the diff go thru the side
plates and cannot be removed with the ZF in the car, except with a ridiculous
amount of effort and risk. Once out, remove the single bolt in the center of
the stub axle, then pull the inner stub axle. Examine the seal surface of the
inner stub-axle. If its torn up, this is why the seal went bad and you'll need
either a new axle or have the old axle repaired. If not, its simple wear.
Remove all the bolts holding ONE side plate. Once the plate is off, the seal can be
tapped out from the backside using a driver or a blunt screwdriver. Tap a new
seal in place and grease the seal-lip before sliding the inner stub-axle back
in place. I'd use a brand-new paper gasket on each side plate to eliminate
another possible leak. RBT Transmissions has the seals & gaskets quite
reasonably priced, and may have replacement inner stub-axles in stock.
Also suggest replacing the pilot bushing in the end of the crank (remove the
old one with a tap- wind it into the bushing and keep turning when the tap
bottoms; the bushing will slide right out on the tap),  the clutch throwout
bearing, and pull the ZF bottom cover to check for safety wire. If none is there,
all the vendors- and RBT- sell a 'kit' of predrilled U.S-made bolts, a bottom
plate gasket and a length of wire. All you'll need for the ring gear bolts is a
torque wrench and a crow-foot socket to fit whatever bolts you use.
If you feel lucky and want to spend much more time poking and prying, its
barely possible to remove the halfshafts and the inner stub axles, and with a lot
of fooling around with custom-bent pry-bars, the seals may come out with the
ZF in place..... but it won't be easy and will likely take as long or longer
than simply pulling the ZF. And if the paper side-gasket is the real problem,
the ZF will have to come out anyway.... None of this is rocket science but its
dirty work, and the ZF weighs 155 lbs so get two husky friends to lift it out
(or a shop crane). Doing the 'extra stuff' like the throwout and pilot bushing
will very likely pay dividends later, too. Good luck, Bill- J Deryke