[DeTomaso] ZDDP heads up about MOBIL 1

Robert Kirk kirkbrit at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 14:34:54 EDT 2009

In talking with various folks trying to gather more fact and fiction I ran into the following as regards Mobil 1 oil.
I have Ashland's (Valvoline) Technical Director Thomas R Smith's paper in front of me.  where in it states, "Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet minimum API SM or ILSAC GF-4 specifications becasue of its inferior performance in the Sequence IVA wear test."

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001295961.cfm?x=bdSbqlq,b186n0qP

ILSAC=International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee
API=American Petroleum Institute
Each set standards and certify oil blends.  It is speculated that were it any other than Exxon Mobile the "splash" would be MUCH greater.  The facts stand and Ex.Mobile have not to date done anything but challenge Valvoline for proof.  That (the proof) went public 4 months ago.
API SM (ILSAC GF-4) have minimal ZDDP which appears insufficient for freshly built flat cam engines.
The apparent proven allegation that Mobile 1 fails to meet its own specification may be of a concern to DeTo owners.

Regards,
Robert Kirk
www.kirks-auto.com