[DeTomaso] How did they do that, GT-40 Proto-type sold for two million and change, ok no Pantera content

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 17 12:41:16 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/17/09 6 08 31, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> I read an article long ago about one of the more famous custom car builders
> who had a GT-40 roadster and a indy engine  waiting
>
> for a resto.  Most all of it was just given to him by Ford for work done
> long ago.  Details have faded.

That's Dean Jeffries (who also has or had a yellow Mangusta).   He owns one
of the four GT40 spyders, GT/109.   It was a Shelby team car, which only raced
once.   It was prepared for Le Mans in 1965, where it dropped out fairly early
on.   It was unwanted by Shelby and dumped outside his factory at the Los
Angeles Airport, where it sat for three years until Jeffries bought it, by then
in very bad shape.

He has *slowly* been restoring it ever since.   I didn't realize he was
putting an Indycar engine in it like Bill Wonder did; last time I saw it, it was
engineless.   He's a customizer who made cars like the Monkeemobile etc.; I hope
he's not hacking the GT40 up?

Ah, no.   Just did a quick Google search; here's an article w/photos showing
that the only thing he's done is fit MUCH wider wheels than the car originally
had, and the Indy motor.   Otherwise the car appears to be being treated
well. :>)

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/features/c12_0511_dean_jeffries_interview/in
dex.html