[DeTomaso] Car suddenly not turning over......Any help appreciated

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Tue Mar 17 10:29:38 EDT 2009

This is an empty battery.
Goran
----- Original Message -----
From: "clay willmott" <claywillmott at hotmail.com>
To: "Pantera Forum" <detomaso at realbig.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Car suddenly not turning over......Any help
appreciated

Follow Up:

I decided to hold the car on start a few seconds and after the brief turn,
then silence, the a loud ratcheting machine gun noise will consistently emit
from the side of the passenger engine ( I think).

I would assume this is a bad starter???  If so how often do they go bad?
Glad I was at home and not traveling in it far away.

Clay

> From: claywillmott at hotmail.com
> To: detomaso at realbig.com
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:49:39 -0400
> Subject: [DeTomaso] Car suddenly not turning over......Any help
> appreciated
>

> I have had my car on the 2 amp charge while I am working on the electrical
> system.  I have not had it on charge when in storage.  The battery is a
> yellow optima about 6 months old.
>
> I go out to start the car and it only turns a 1/8 turn or so and
> completely stops.  No groaning or anything else after the split second
> turn, just silence.
>
> I don't have a  battery checker but my battery put the lights up and down
> quickly and headlights are bright.
> I put my charger on 100 AMP start to the battery and still only the brief
> turn and silence.
>
> I have the MSD system and a high torque starter etc.  Alternator was
> checked just last year and is fairly new.  Starter looks fairly new and
> likely was replaced with engine overhaul a few years back by prior owner.
>
> Is this a bad starter or something else?  Any help appreciated.
>
> I have been running the car for 2-5 minutes 3 times a week for last two
> weeks to bleed out any remaining air from radiator and new pipes for
> cooling overhaul.  It started easily other than the first start up from
> winter.
>

> Thanks
>
> Clay

> Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail®.
> http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=TXT_MSGTX_WL_HM_express_032009#colortheme

Windows Live™: Life without walls.