[DeTomaso] How did they do that, GT-40 Proto-type sold for two million and change, ok no Pantera content

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 16 17:16:12 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/16/09 13 19 15, rimov at charter.net writes:

> I was watching a HD show called million dollar auctions last night and one
> of the cars that rolled across the RM auction block was none other than the
> original GT-40 prototype with a 289. The car was just beautiful and sold for
> two million and change and the engine was really tits. The carbs were mounted
> were the exhaust normally are and the exhaust pipes were mounted where the
> intake usually resides. How did they do that ? I have never seen a motor
> designed or reconfigured in  that manor but it looked just, well tits. Very exotic
> looking, like something Austin Martin, Alfa or Ferrari would have come up
> with.

The earliest GT40s were intended to be powered by Ford's 4.2 liter Indy car
motor, which is configured just as you say--the heads are turned around on the
block, with the exhaust ports towards the center.   Sidedraft Webers feed the
thing.   It was used in the Lotus 38 that Jim Clark used to win the Indy 500
in 1965--the first mid-engined car to do so.

Here's some photos of that car, the first of the eight Lotus 38 cars built:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/630/Lotus-38.html

However, for the GT40 application, the heads were reversed; the very first
car had the carbs in the center and the exhausts out the side, going into
180-degree headers, as you're accustomed to seeing.

Only a very few cars were built with the 4.2 liter engine before the decision
was made to switch to the 289 Cobra (4.7 liter) motor, and those early cars
were retrofitted with the 289s.   None, as far as I know, were built with the
4.2 engine in the Indycar configuration.   So that seems to be rather an
oddball conversion of some sort?

Any links to photos or anything?