[DeTomaso] Timing Adjustment Strangeness

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 16 06:16:37 EDT 2009

Check this out, I had the timing set at 18 degrees advance at idle, then revved to about 3,500 rpms and the timing advanced to about 35 degrees, and then stayed there even after I returned to idle. The hold-down clamp was completely tight.
I reset the timing to 18 at idle, now it still advances with rpms, and is returning to 18 degrees at idle.
Does this sound like sticky advance springs on the MSD distributor?
If I recall, aren't these springs color coded? So I can just see what color I have to order replacements?

Dan
Dan F. Courtney

La Jolla, CA

(858) 551-5455 Phone