[DeTomaso] Radiator fan-help!!

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 16:15:30 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/14/09 1:05:42 PM, panteratime at aol.com writes:

> A new member of my club just replaced his original radiator with a
> Fluidyne.? He noticed the two front mounted fans the fan blades were
> opposite?eachother.? One sucked, one blew.??Is this correct?????Again both fans were mounted
> in front of radiator.? Shouldnt both these fans blow into radiator front????

Both fan blade sets should be mounted the same- no gain is seen by varying
one fan, and with some fan designs, mounting the blades backwards, then rewiring
the motor to more easily change this, severely reduces air flow. Blades are
often made to turn only one way. An increase in cooling efficiency is seen with
shrouded sucker-type fans mounted BEHIND the radiator, mostly because the
shroud forces 100% of the radiator surface to flow air from the fans. Unshrouded
fans affect only that area immediately behind (or in front of) the fan blades,
leaving the rest of the expensive radiator area to simply sit there. For ease
of mounting, the radiator may be sloped forward with a pair of simple
strap-brackets, but no particular cooling gains occur with a slanted radiator- its
just for convenience. The OEM fan mounts in front must be removed to slant the
radiator very much. FWIW- J DeRyke