[DeTomaso] Mobil 1 Oil... million mile test

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 15:59:17 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/13/09 9:46:11 AM, adin at frontier.net writes:

> I want dino juice in my motors.
> Dan (Jones) has told me he runs synthetic in his commute car (5.0hosstang)
> and beats it like a cheap whore.  170,000 and running strong.

For most cars, I see no advantage with synthetic to justify the price. For 25
years, I ran 10W30 WBS (whatever brand's on sale) detergent oil in my
hot-rod/autocross/commuter Corvair, with engine oil temps near 240F ALL THE TIME
(air-cooled and low-geared). For a while, if you brought your own 5 gal can to
Sears, they would fill it up for 67¢ a quart. I changed the oil faithfully at
3000 miles along with a new filter each time. When I sold it in 2000 to another
autocrosser (who's still competing with it), the thing had 275,000 really hard
miles on it and was still running strong for a pushrod-6. Still using
10W30-WBS in the '72 Pantera, the '97 Z-28 and the 2001 Forerunner. I do use Mobil 1
in the turbo-MR-2, hopefully to cut down on oil-coking in the turbo. FWIW- J
Deryke